Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Facebook revisited

Posted by Terry McNichols

It is too soon to rerun this post on the joys of using Facebook, Twitter, and other social networking sites. But I was tempted to rerun it anyway, only 3 months after its first run. That is because Facebook is rapidly taking over as the means we are all using to communicate. I now have Facebook open at the start of the day and keep track of a growing number of friends throughout the day, checking it when I sit down to check my email. I love getting little snapshots of what is going on in the lives of my adult kids (and thus my grandkids), my nieces and nephews and friends from many parts of the country and world. We have reconnected with friends now living in New Zealand, as an example, and reestablished connections with some college friends we had long since lost. I am finding that Facebook is now the first place I go to upload pictures from a recent fun event or weekend.

So, instead of a rerun, I'm linking to a very good article on "How-to-Facebook" which contains some very interesting facts about who is using it as well. Here are a couple of statistics from that post:
* Facebook reports having more than 200 million active users, more than half of whom visit the site at least once a day.

* The fastest-growing group of Facebook users is people 35 years old and older

* The average Facebook user has 120 "friends" on the site.

* More than 30 million users update their status at least once a day

So, a word: if you aren't using Facebook, then you missed out on my great video of a recent false alarm in the Houston airport, not to mention all the other important doings of your friends and relatives. Check it out!

1 comment:

Peggy said...

I agree!!! It is big fun!!! I felt like a knew all kinds of stuff about you before you even arrived last week. That's pretty cool. What is not cool is the Texas heat!!!!