Thursday, November 27, 2008

Amazing Grace

Posted by Leona Bergstrom

I am captivated by the concept of grace. It is a word that is used to describe so many things – including our journey into aging ala this blog!

Grace means many different things to each person who hears the word and swirls it around her own heart and soul. I think of descriptions I learned in childhood like, “Grace isn’t cheap, but it’s free.” Or, of course, the the acronym that defines grace as God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense.

I loved Philip Yancey’s description of grace: “There is nothing you can do to make God love you more. And nothing you can do to make God love you less.” It seems so simple. God loves like no one can love – with no conditions and full of reconciliation. (From What’s So Amazing About Grace?)

I think this season of the year is all about grace. It begins with gratitude at Thanksgiving, and bursts full of life and light at Christmas. Nothing says it better than the old hymn, “I once was lost, but now I’m found. Was blind, but now I see.”

I recently heard this rendition of that hymn. Listen and see if you don’t feel, taste and hear the sounds of mercy, love, grace and redemption.

No comments: