Monday, October 13, 2008

To know my heart

Posted by Terry McNichols
I said something jokingly to a friend in a public setting that I later thought about. I decided it had a snippy sound and might have the possibility of being taken wrongly. I worried about it a bit and then wrote a short note, apologizing in case of hurt. The response I got back was this: "You absolutely didn't offend me. I took it as a compliment. It would take a lot for me to be offended by you. I know your heart."

I have been thinking a lot about that statement. How different would our lives be if all we come in contact with would give us the benefit of the doubt, assuming good intentions? I want this from my friends, my spouse, my children, their spouses. I want to assume good intentions of those I meet, modeling my response after that of my friend. I am honored to be known.
(Photo by LightSpectral, shared via Flickr)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hear hear!

Joshua