Tuesday, June 24, 2008

On turning 60, sequel #1 - Terry speaks

A few days ago, in keeping with my resolve on turning 60, I visited a local fitness club with a swimming pool and amenities that is well known as a big step above those used by the general public. Being the spoiled consumer that I am, I really wanted the luxury of a true fitness club where I could not only follow through on my promise to exercise my knee, but could also take advantage of the hot tub, steam room, sauna and general overall upscale atmosphere. Having fallen for the “pay for a year now and you get 3 months free” scheme at my past jilted fitness clubs, I know that my resolve often weakens but the charges continue. I was debating several options, all very expensive, planning to use my free 2-week pass and then possibly head on back to the local swimming pool. This didn’t feel like a very promising option, though, as far as keeping my resolve intact.
Imagine my glee, however, when the young, totally fit saleswoman looked at my application and proclaimed, “You’re SIXTY!” Yes, as a matter of fact, I’m two weeks past 60. “Well,” she said, “that changes everything. There’s only one plan worth considering.” Thereupon she showed me the plan that only those 60 and over qualify for which included a low sign-up fee, very low monthly fees, and the ability to opt out with 30 days’ advance notice. I signed up on the spot, and I am that much happier about turning 60! I have realized some benefits since passing the 55 speed bump, but nothing yet compares to a cheap ride at the luxury health and fitness club. Maybe age does have some benefits! My advice therefore, is never be shy about asking. It hadn’t occurred to me that there might be a price cut, but I’m going to keep my eyes open from here on out and grab every benefit coming to me! If you have any advice on finding low cost or free services, let us know in our comment section. We’re keeping a list!

No comments: