Monday, April 12, 2010

Things my daughter learned....

Posted by Terry McNichols

I am about to spend several days visiting my Texas peeps.  This involves spending a few days with my daughter, who has two children herself and is a busy mom.  As I was going through some old papers, trying to decide what to write about this week, I came across a letter my daughter gave me when she was in her late teens or very early 20's.  My daughter gave me a list of the things she had learned from me.  Since they are still pretty good life lessons, I decided to post them here!  So here you have it, life according to me, taught to my lovely daughter along the way:
  • Take an apple with you everywhere you go
  • Carry your weather within -- it rains a lot around here
  • Carry your own purse
  • Voice your opinions
  • Read books -- they are a treat
  • Ambling, strolling, and walking are NOT synonyms
  • Tell people what you really want, or you'll never get it
  • Don't rely on anyone else to buy you flowers . . .unless it's your mother!
  • Sunday is for church...and afternoon naps
  • Never pay full price for clothing
  • Love your family, despite their differences
  • Unless under extreme conditions, never attempt a day without coffee...GOOD coffee
  • You're never too old to change your mind about what you want to be when you grow up
  • Visit far away places
  • Marriage is sacred
  • Say you're sorry
  • It may not be the ultimate solution, but Retail Therapy is effective
  • Chocolate chip cookies usually work too
  • No matter how much you love a man, he will always remain...a man  (sorry to my husband on that one!)

    Actually, in reading these again at this later date, I see that most of them still make sense!  I hope I can continue to offer only useful advice along the way!


No comments: