Friday, February 26, 2010

Let the Games End

Posted by Leona Bergstrom
I think I might possibly be eligible for an Olympic Gold. My endurance has been amazing and my competitive spirit undaunted.
I have become one of the world’s best couch potatoes. While sitting (almost) every night for four hours watching taut, strong, “extreme” bodies bend, fly and propel, my body has created a permanent dent in the cushion. My fascination with the competition pushes me to not only endure my personal best at immobility, but my mind has expanded to the point I have the script and jingle to almost every commercial memorized. My theology is even being stretched as I reconsider whether God is sovereign or if it really is Allstate who has me in its hands.
And then there’s the fatigue. Thanks to NBC’s thoughtfulness, the Olympics coverage on the west coast (100 miles south of the actual games) has been delayed for broadcast. That means we stay up until after midnight so that we don’t miss the last interview with an athlete’s neighbor! We’re exhausted and sleep deprived.
At any rate, it’s time for the games to end. I can’t take the stress, the disappointment, the crashes and wipe-outs, or even the tears of victory any more. It’s time to watch the athletes limp around the coliseum one last time and go home to their regimens and training centers.
And it’s time for me to get up and go for a walk.
 
(Photo by oddsock, shared via Flickr)

No comments: