Monday, September 7, 2009

Things I've learned

Posted by Terry McNichols

I have found out some things about myself in last few months that I am hesitant to reveal. But here goes, in the guise of self disclosure at its best....
1. I am addicted to all things internet-ish. I am trying to justify the amount of time I currently spend on playing bejeweled on Facebook (improving my mind by learning new ways to connect various falling jewel shapes to beat out my friends on a weekly basis) not to mention the time suck that is called Farmville.
2. It is easy to justify wasting time on such things as I am also connecting with the people I care dearly about (HOW could these dear people feel okay about sucking me into these addictive behaviors?)
3. So far I haven't put any money into buying new barns on Farmville, but I must admit to being tempted! I have yet to sell my soul to the advertising geniuses that insist I give them my name, address, email and cell phone number in exchange for some Farm Value $$$$ that will buy me a bigger barn, an outhouse, a tractor, a bike, a bigger farm. But I must admit that I am sorely tempted.
4. I held off as long as was feasible while my friends and immediate family pummeled me with cows, sheep, chickens, fruit trees, offers for help on my farm.
5. I now have a farm I must check daily or the strawberries wilt on the vine, the crows eat my harvest, the pigs go unfed. And I WANT bigger barns and more crops and more things!
What has happened to my otherwise unencumbered life? Where has my free time gone?
True confession is good for the soul. Step away from the computer, Terry, and get a real life! (PS: I am having a lot of fun, in spite of the fact that I'm really not getting much of consequence accomplished....) Would you like to be my Farmville neighbor? I could get a lot of points for adding you..... maybe a barn....

No comments: