Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The other grandma

Posted by Terry McNichols

I linked to this article in Monday's blog post, but wanted to be sure to call it to your attention in case you missed it. When this post goes to "press," I will be spending the day in Texas with one of my granddaughter's "other Ahmas" and I thought this story expressed it so well. I am committed to seeing my out-of-town granddaughter every 3 or 4 months, and this year it has been too long. We are trying to get our Skype and videocam to work at the same time that Z is interested in talking, but a face-to-face visit is still needed. It has been 7-1/2 months since I have seen her and when some time unexpectedly freed up, I grabbed an expensive airline ticket and headed south. We grandmothers share the common love of a child and can enjoy that child together. Do you have issues with the other grandmothers in your child's life?

We welcome guest posts and if appropriate, we will use your post in our Wednesday slot. This can be anonymous if you choose and might be shortened or edited as we see fit.

1 comment:

Peggy Forster said...

Interesting article Terry. I have a really unique vantage point too because I am the step-Ama. But you know I dig that role. and I am truly grateful to have Z as my grandaughter. I have learned more from that 4 year old than any professor at ATM or any adult.

I think the 3 of us get along quite nicelyl. Karen is fortunate to be able to help J and J out by keeping Z regularly, and that makes them super close. I know she does an exceptional job, plus it keeps Z from going to daycare and she is being raised by her family. I am unique too in that Karen and I have shared family for a very long time. And let me assure you that both of us are better women because of getting to help raise Zella. I heard Karen say as much in her emails and the same is true for me.

I know proximity and time are huge factors for you, and I know it weighs heavily on your grand-mothering heart. I admire your commitment to coming in more frequently. truly. I am sure Bethany's grandkids will benefit from those visits too, soon.

You know whenever I think about pettiness on my part, I feel the holy spirit gently tell me, "just love that little girl." And that is what I try to do. Loving you guys and sharing all things Z is just being faithful to that command and has granted me good friendships with Zella's other Amas. Looking forward to seeing you when you come in. Enjoy Miss Z. She is a hoot!!!