Friday, January 2, 2009

Oh, Those New Year’s Resolutions

Posted by Leona Bergstrom


Here it is again, another New Year’s Day and the pressure to have a few resolutions. To be honest, I’m tired of resolving to lose weight, exercise more, spend more time with family, and save money. It goes without saying that every year I look at that list and realize I’ve totally blown it.

I rather like the reflective writings of woman named Nadine Stair, who at age 85 wrote “I’d Pick More Daisies.” Probably if these became my resolutions I’d be relaxed, limber, fit, happier, and far more interesting.
I'd Pick More Daisies
By Nadine Stair, age 85

If I had my life to live over,
I'd try to make more mistakes next time.
I would relax. I would limber up.
I would be sillier than I have on this trip.
I would be crazier. I would be less hygienic.
I would take more chances, I would take more trips.
I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers, and watch more sunsets.
I would burn more gasoline. I would eat more ice cream and less beans.
I would have more actual troubles and fewer imaginary ones.
You see, I am one of those people who lives prophylactically and sensibly and sanely,
hour after hour, day after day.

Oh, I have had my moments
And if I had it to do over again, I'd have more of them.
In fact, I'd try to have nothing else.
Just moments,one after another.
Instead of living so many years ahead each day.
I have been one of those people who never go anywhere
without a thermometer, a hot water bottle, a gargle, a raincoat, and a parachute.

If I had to do it over again, I would go places and do things.
I'd travel lighter than I have.
If I had my life to live over, I would start barefooted earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall.
I would play hooky more. I wouldn't make such good grades except by accident.
I would ride on merry-go-rounds.

I'd pick more daisies!
(Photos by betterpharm, Mike Rawlins, shared via Flickr)

No comments: