Friday, January 23, 2009

Moldova Still Calls

Posted by Leona Bergstrom

I love how God is challenging both Terry and me to look at His world through His eyes. Terry heads to El Salvador to bring love, music and hope to a village—and to renew relationships that have grown to fill her heart. I continue to work on behalf of the elderly in Chisinau, Moldova and Bethany Church’s feeding program. We both are facing the cruel realities of poverty and looking into the desperate eyes of those who are both physically and spiritually hungry.

This week I am deeply moved (as usual) by the depth of the friendships we have in Moldova. I am rejoicing in recent news that the people of Bethany Church in Chisinau are now worshipping in their new building! I am rejoicing in news of elderly people being fed in the nearly finished basement, and how street children were given a party there on Christmas Day and were told of the love of Christ. I am happy to know that God is working there through His people. I also groan in my spirit knowing that these are desperate days for the people of Moldova. It is very cold, food is scarce and life is hard. The Russians threaten to withhold natural gas which could reduce even more the availability of heat in their homes.

Recently, we had the opportunity to visit Elena, Pastor Dima’s daughter. One of our Moldova mission team members brought her to Edmonds for a week after Christmas. What a wonderful opportunity for Elena to visit the U.S and for us to renew relationship with her! Hearing her voice and her Moldovan accented English made me long to go back. Maybe in 2009?? We’ll hope.

Pictured: Dick and Leona visit Elena in Anne’s home.
Recent baptism service at Bethany Church.

No comments: