Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Lessons from my washing machine

Posted by Leona Bergstrom

I learned something from my washing machine today: Don’t overload.

Now for someone who has been a “Household Executive” for 36 years and has probably done at least 7,488 loads of laundry (maybe more!), you would think that I would have the technique down. But no. I get impatient and I have very high expectations for my washing machine.


My tendency to stuff the machine with as much as I could possibly put in accelerated when I moved into a new house with a washer marked “Super High Capacity.” Wow. The possibility existed for washing every towel in the house at one time. I crammed and jammed for months. Then last week a faint aroma of burning rubber tickled my nostrils. With every load the smell became more intense. I finally called a repairman.

Yep. Motor burning out. Too much stuff. OVERLOAD.

I’m finding the same to be true in my life. At my age, I have a lot of experience, education and insight upon which to draw. I feel that I’ve finally reached “Super High Capacity.” So, I’m cramming and jamming all kinds of things into my day to be sure I live life with purpose, vision, vitality and productivity. I’m having the time of my life doing the things I believe I’m called to do. But this morning, I sensed a faint aroma of burning rubber.....

I’ve quit overloading the washing machine. I put in less clothes and more water, and "voila" the machine spins and splashes and even agitates with freedom. No more burning smell, although the repairman told me it was a matter of time before the little motor gives up completely.

I just know there’s a lesson in there somewhere.
(Photo by 4T9R)

No comments: