Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Calling

Posted by Leona Bergstrom

Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you how deeply I feel about ministry with and through people in midlife and beyond. I have spent most of my professional career planning, developing and implementing social and health care programs for older adults and their families. That has been rewarding, but nothing gets my ministry heartbeat racing more than helping church leaders grasp the importance of building powerful and effective ministry options for people in the second half of life. I spend many of my waking hours trying to do just that. One organization that I believe in (enough to serve on the Advisory Board!) is CASA – Christian Association Serving Adult Ministries. When I joined it several years ago, the acrostic stood for Christian Association of Senior Adults. In an attempt to be broader in its appeal, CASA has chosen to expand its service to all adult ministries.

This week we will be traveling to Southern California to participate in CASA’s Leadership Conference. I will be leading an afternoon workshop about ministry with midlife women and Dick will share on a panel with other pastors who lead 2nd 1/2 ministries. It is a critical time to continue to fan the flame and build ministries that will meet the needs of people age 50+ and reach them with the good news of Christ.

Several months ago, CASA held a Celebration of Life event in Southern California. This video was shown there. It reveals the heartbeat of this ministry.

No comments: