Friday, October 3, 2008

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Posted by Terry McNichols

Perhaps I am taking this gift a bit too seriously. It was given to my husband as a kind gesture, but I cannot help but find it blog worthy! Here we have a water bottle, originally stuffed with an emergency blanket, a poncho, a flashlight, an emergency whistle with compass, and a small ziplock bag. I am curious as to what type of disaster this small "emergency kit" would suffice. And what would I put in the ziplock?

I was immediately reminded of these verses from Psalm 33.
No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his great strength. A horse is a vain hope for deliverance; despite all its great strength it cannot save.
I have nothing against emergency preparedness -- don't get me wrong. I have a larger version of the picture in my storage shed, as I have heeded the 3-days, 3-ways commercials. But I don't put my trust in its sufficiency.

Addendum: I sent this blog to Leona to read before publishing it and she admitted that she had just bought a kit exactly like this from Eddie Bauer to keep in her car. Oh, dear, I've offended my own blog partner! Okay, I'll relent and keep this in my car. And hope that I don't ever need it! And here's the link for putting together your own disaster preparedness kit!

No comments: