Friday, August 8, 2008

Leaving a Legacy of Faith – Part Three of Three - Leona

Passing it on.
The stories of Elijah and Elisha, and the story of my Grandma Thomas fill my heart and mind. Someday when I cross the Jordan, I want to look back and see the generations behind me want to pick up my mantle because it is so on fire and it is so filled with power!

How am I going to leave such a legacy?

First, by walking. I must walk with God personally and know him in the past and in the present. I must know his power daily. I must also walk justly and humbly before the Lord. (Micah 6:8)

Second, by mentoring. I must be involved in sharing the realities of my faith with the next generations. Whether it is my grandson or a young mother from my church, I must invest in the life of another sharing God’s faithfulness in the ups and downs of life.

Third, by leading. Bruce McNicol wrote in the book Ascent of a Leader that anytime we influence a life we are a leader. I need to develop my character, my integrity, honesty and devotion.

Fourth, by discipling. I need to follow the instructions of our Savior in Matthew 28 to make disciples of all nations. Leaving a legacy means introducing people to Christ.

Fifth, by serving. Daily I am more convicted of the importance of living out Isaiah 61 and bring good news to the afflicted, bind up the brokenhearted and comfort those who mourn.

Sixth, by “fragrancing.” By spreading the aroma of Christ (II Corinthians 2:14) wherever I go. To me that means living grace in an ungraceful world.

Last, by fanning the flame. As I reach out to other generations I need to remind them to” fan into flame the gift of God” in each person. (II Timothy 1:6)

Outcomes: I’ve spent a lot of years in management trying to measure outcomes! But, the potential outcome of leaving a legacy of fiery faith far exceeds anything I’ve ever encountered in the business world.

I pray that my children and their children will trust the Lord in all their ways. If in some way my life steers them in that direction, then that will be the greatest outcome of my legacy.
Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things that your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them. Deut. 4:9

(Photo by Creativity+Timothy K., Flickr)

No comments: